2013 Nutrition Challenge!
January is upon us and if you are anything like me you ate way too much junk over the past week and are ready to get back on the healthy eating band wagon! There was a lot of talk in December about getting a nutrition challenge together so that is what we are going to do. It will start on Monday and go for 1 month. We will be weighing in and taking measurements until the end of this week. It will cost $5 to enter and the winner will get all the cash. The more people that enter the bigger the prize. The winner will be determined by total % of body weight lost, inches lost and a benchmark WOD.
The end goal here is to get people thinking about what they are eating and the link between what you eat and how you feel/perform. There are no strict “rules” as to what to eat. For some simply cutting out pop and chips may be a huge challenge in itself. For others your goal may be very strict paleo. Here are some good guidelines to follow.
- No grains or gluten products (bread, pasta, beer, pastries, cookies, etc.)
- No refined sugars.
- No legumes.
- No processed foods (i.e. from a box, bag, more than 3-4 ingredients…)
- Limit, or eliminate, dairy (depending on your body composition goals and tolerance to lactose)
- Avoid alcohol
- Reduce coffee intake, it can negatively affect your sleep.
- Eat good quality (organic, grass-fed, local) lean meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, berries and nuts.
Here are some good resources for you to check out.